By Andrea Schulman, Conscious Life News
“It is through gratitude for the present moment that the spiritual dimension of life opens up.”
Appreciation is the key to a better, more fulfilling life. However, when we give thanks, we often overlook many of the basic things that make our lives more convenient, entertaining and safe. This list aims to identify some of the blessings we often take for granted.
Several hundred years ago people had very few of the items on this list, and there are still people alive today who don’t have many of them. Chances are if you are reading this list, you have access to the majority of these things. To feel some extra appreciation for your life today, take a moment to think about what your life would be like without these simple, yet powerful blessings.
- Clean water
- Women’s rights
- Air conditioning
- Having enough food to eat
- Having had an education
- Being literate/knowing how to read and write
- The internet, and being able to find the answers to your questions quickly
- Personal and public transportation like cars, bicycles, buses, and subways
- Shelter from the elements
- Child labor laws
- Movies and documentaries
- Having access to anesthesia during surgery and dental procedures
- Refrigerators, ovens and standard kitchen appliances
- Indoor plumbing
- The arts: music, theatre, comedy, etc.
- Restaurants, grocery stores, farmer’s markets and the ability to find food easily
- Veterinary care for our pets
- Hot showers
- Public libraries
- Medications and herbal remedies for when we are sick
- Telephones and smartphones
- Sports and leisure activities
- Hospice care for the dying
- Civil rights
- Toys for our children
- The ability to go anywhere in the world that you need or want to go via airplanes, trains or boats
- Toothbrushes, toothpaste and dentistry
- Free time
- Laws that protect how many hours we work and cover our medical expenses if we get injured on the job
- 911, first responders, nurses, doctors and anyone who keeps us safe in an emergency
- Spiritual awareness
- The abolition of slavery
- Freedom of speech
- The postal service
- Birth control
- Freedom of religion
- Comfortable beds, pillows and sheets
- The ability to stay in touch with friends and loved ones who are far away
Naturally, there are things we still want to improve upon to make life even better, but often we focus on what’s wrong with the world rather than on what’s right with it. There are many things working in our favor that we simply take for granted most of the time.
As a species, we have created the ability for many of us to enjoy comfortable, knowledgeable and entertaining lives. We are among the most fortunate people in all of human history, and as a result, we have many things to appreciate and be grateful for.
This article was originally posted at Raise Your Vibration Today.
About the Author: Andrea Schulman is a former high school psychology teacher and the creator of Raise Your Vibration Today, which offers Law of Attraction tips and education (updated daily). To learn more about Andrea or Raise Your Vibration Today visit her blog, Facebook, Twitter (@Vibration1111) or Instagram (@andrea.11.11).